June 24, 2008

Remember Me

Over the years as we’ve had a variety of automobiles. Similar to the urge to win a lottery, I’ve always hoped that each set of new license plates would have a number that was easy to memorize. One time we purchased an older basic-transportation car for Bill to drive back and forth to work. The price was right, but the car was a really ugly mustard yellow Maverick. Since it was Bill’s work car, I picked up the license plates at court house without giving any thought to the numbers. That evening we went to put the plates on the car and I just about choked when I saw that the plate was numbered 666. I’m sure the clerk at the court house had been trying for days to pawn the ‘number of the beast’ off on some naive and unsuspecting person. In any case, the car is now long gone, but to this day it’s the only license plate number I remember. I have a few sins in my life that are like that. Even though the sins have long since been forgiven, they made such an impression that they are still committed to memory.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----Thank God there is someone out there like me. I have half a library of sins that occasionally swing open my memory doors and haunt me. Like you, I know I am forgiven. But I presume many folks who witnessed my idiocy remember me like you remember the license plate. I know the Lord forgets our forgiven sins, but I shrivel at the thought of what those folks might remember.
-----But I continue to grow in the attitudes the Word teaches. So I know I am gradually coming across a healthy way of thinking about those haunting memories. I suspect most folks have the same, but to hear them confirm it, to read of Paul holding the cloaks of Stephen’s stoners helps me to be more relaxed in the presence of my own ghosts.

Love,
Steve Corey