July 01, 2008

Actions Really Do Speak Louder Than Words

A while back I was seated at a business dinner with two zealous believers, as well as some un-churched folks. During the meal the believers showed their disdain for the speaker by not acknowledging his presence, either by eye contact or applause. It was such an obvious slight that it was uncomfortable for all of us. Later, out of earshot of the believers, the un-churched folks brought out their hypocrisy guns. “They call themselves Christian and this is the way they act? They may call it being religious, I call being a hypocrite.” I didn’t, nor could I, defend the believers because even I thought, so what happened, did you two misplace the Golden Rule? I really wanted to let my fellow believers know that they blew it…but I didn’t. I decided it’s probably more important that I’m the one to learn from their mistake.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----I get really torqued sometimes, too, and misbehave a lot, especially with cold callers on the phone. I am always glad when I get away with out a spanking, but I know my character suffers the worst for the lack of it. People today have been reprogrammed (sometimes I think, almost nurse Ratched style) to avoid conflict at all cost. Finding a well handled, diplomatic spanking is mighty hard to do.
-----On the other hand, when one stands before an audience, whether one wishes to admit it or not, there is a social responsibility to leave that audience impressed in a way that is at least somewhat consistent with the truth. There are a number of other oratory graces one owes to the audience as well. Did this speaker deserve a spanking, of course graciously administered? If so, I would have been hard pressed as whether to take displeasure in my two brethren for their cruel punishment, or to take pleasure in them for at least expressing some necessary disapproval. I think our society would be much healthier if well behaved Christians would find a public spine and stand up strong against what is actually not right. I know I would want someone to take a stand against me if I were actually out of bounds. (Often I am, and even without the pleasure of knowing about it.)
-----Again, watch for The Human Race for Integrity. It is coming back.

Love,
Steve Corey

Anonymous said...

Just a quick comment about your blog. There's no way for me to know what the speaker said or did that drew ire from those two Christians, but if it was because of off-colored comments or jokes, or some statement that goes against Christian principals, then I have a hard time faulting them.

Giving eye contact is one thing, but appaulding offending comments is quite another. Being polite is important, but where do Christians draw the line?

What do you think Jesus would have done in the same situation?

Callie

Christian Ear said...

Steve and Callie,
So much for my attempt to speak generically! The speaker was an elected official and his sin was nothing more than his choice of political party. Gail

Anonymous said...

GASP!!!