July 22, 2008

Speed Bump

Lately in a couple of sermons I’ve heard a contemporary preacher quoted that made me react negatively. As a listener, it was like traveling along a smooth highway and all of a sudden there was this huge speed bump. Oh, I like the quotes. They were good, correct and applicable to the message…I just don’t value the person being quoted. Parking my mind on the side of the road I thought, why was this guy invited into the Sunday morning sermon? I’ve been struggling to understand why I let my worship get derailed by the credit at the end of a quote. However, my personality is one that looks at the actions and motives of the person being quoted. I suppose if the quotes had been from someone who was dead there would be no need for me to question his motive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----Character really does matter. The contemporaries gather together and preach and listen just like we do. But the background of their activities screams additional messages. It is not just that Jesus is the Christ, but even more, that what they are doing is right and what the churches used to do is wrong. It is the gospel plus, the church improved, the a priori of service! When really, it is just their opinion. No wonder their names attached to otherwise sound words are speed bumps to you, for coming from them, they are sound words plus their way.

Love,
Steve Corey