July 21, 2008

Fantasy Meets Reality

When my (soon to be) three year-old granddaughter wants to emphasize words she uses sweeping arm movements, hand gestures and raises the tone of her voice a couple of octaves. Recently Lydia told me, “I’m really, really strong.” Of course I agreed with her. Finding support she then said, “I’m stronger than the Hulk.” Well yes sweetie, maybe you are. With great enthusiasm and feeling embolden she continued, “I’m stronger than God!” Yikes. If I’d just have stopped her exaggeration with the Hulk, maybe she wouldn’t have thought she could arm wrestle God and win. I think we in the church are often guilty of overlooking one another’s Hulkiness. Certainly we are to become more Christ like, however all of us, at one time or another, take it a step further and try to become godlike.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----It is difficult to discern which issues need our attention, and which ones need to slip by quietly. I’ve known some Christians who were just not fun to be around because everything was an issue (and I’ve been one of those at times , too.) Such a one would have started explaining to your grand daughter boastful attitudes and would have moved through the need for more careful analysis to a full theological discussion of blaspheme. The poor little girl would not have had a clue, but the correction, I assure you, would have been given with solemn sobriety.
-----I think our society over reacted several decades ago to what was a more open tendency to correct each other. Shortly after I reached my thinking years, I remember the efforts made to convince people to open up a sizeable hole in their heads and dump their brains in the trash when it came to standards, principles, and traditions. Eventually we have come to be convinced that, “My bag ain’t none of your business, Baby.” Everything has become blessed with, “Whatever turns your crank, Man!”
-----What is particularly disgruntling in the church are those who advocate that hole-in-the-head philosophy in order to dominate and use the flock. “It’s not about you” is the Christian version of the, “My bag ain’t none of your business,” hole. Any valid criticism is supposed to become null, because “you,” about whom it is not, are just being a critic, but I, the church leader, can do whatever turns my crank because I‘ve been blessed! It is a pitiful shame that our minds had been groomed over the last four decades to fall prey to such wolfy ways, otherwise, there’d been a trail of dog fur left right through the back door of XYZ Church and over yonder hills well before the turn of the century.

Love,
Steve Corey