July 17, 2008

Be Ready

Because of her health issues my sister now lives with us. I find it interesting and some what maddening that in the morning she doesn’t get around, showered and dressed unless she has somewhere to go or someone is coming to visit. One day last week at 4:00 pm she said, “Well, it’s already so late in the day that I don’t see any point in getting showered and dressed.” It’s not that I care whether or not she lounges around in her comfies, but I’d like to take her with me when I run errands. The problem is that most of my shopping is not planned, it’s spur of the moment. I can’t wait for her to get dresses and put on her make-up if I need to make a quick run to Wal-Mart. I think my sister would fit right in with the five foolish virgins who didn’t think about oil for their lamps until it was time to light them. “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.” Matt 25:13 NIV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----Faltering health can become a deadly trap. Drug research uses double blind studies (neither the researcher nor the test subject knowing whether a placebo has been administered or the test drug) because of the strong effect of the mind over the body. That effect is so strong that veterinary research must use a triple blind study, for if the pet owner knows, results show that the pet can read the owner‘s reactions, and the test becomes skewed. The way we respond to an ailment is like feedback through a microphone, the ailment causes a reaction which psychosomatically effects the ailment. Your sister’s feedback is scary. That She is in your home is already communication to herself of her diminished capacity. Then failing to dress for the day underscores the message of submission to the ailment. I assure you, her inner world of blood chemistry and hormones is reading her every action like a book. “The light of the eyes rejoices the heart, and good news refreshes the bones.” (Prov 15:30). ”A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a downcast spirit dries up the bones.” (Prov 17:22).

Love,
Steve Corey