July 16, 2008

Stench

While visiting with folks before Sunday services began one of the ladies told me she’d gone fishing the day before. Putting her wiggling fingers up to her nose she said, “I didn’t catch anything, but I still have the smell of the bait on my hands.” I can relate. Sometimes, even though I’ve been forgiven, I can still carry around with me the stench of sin. The Lord may remember my sin no more, but for a time I remember it, those around me remember it and Satan certainly remembers it…and he’s in no hurry for the stench to fade away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----There is not one of us who is presently washed so clean that the filthy rag principle of Psalms does not apply to our righteousness. Our righteousness exists only in His eyes. The smelly slime we get on our hands from handling a fish is the fish’s protective shield. Water does not wash it off, because the fish is made to live in water. Therefore, if you desire to handle a fish without getting your hands unbearably smelly, get your hands good and wet first. In the same way, when you wish to handle you brother, you must get good and wet first, that is, you must pay close attention to the redeeming work of Christ. The Lord’s forgiveness covers your brother’s peculiarities such that he is able to survive them. It does the same for yours. So when we come into contact with each other, we must try to see each other through His forgiving eyes, making room for each other’s peculiarities. Otherwise, the smells will stick all over each other because of our bone dry attitudes towards each other.

Love,
Steve Corey