August 08, 2008

Entitlement

Whether it’s in the political, social or religious arena there are times we all feel a sense of entitlement. Even the disciples wanted to know who would be the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. By my own volition I do pretty well at putting the interests of others ahead of my own. However, all things being equal, when someone boldly puts their own interests ahead of mine, I don’t do as well. Maybe this is a hold over from elementary school when it seemed I was always picked last. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t necessarily want to be first, but if I’m as qualified or as deserving as others, why should I be last. Of course, there is the consolation that the first shall be last and the last shall be first…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----Someone else’s interest ahead of mine does not bother me, unless it was put there by themselves. Like it does you, that cranks me. It was probably going to wind up there anyway. But the “probably” is the most likely key to understanding my perturbation at it. It eliminates my opportunity to put my interest first. I want the decision to put their interest in front of mine, as if there would be something gained by my doing it. The less likely key is the statement made by someone taking the first place. As you noted, you have been chosen last, at worst, maybe even deliberately, and at best you’ve just not even been noticed at all.
-----We know that upsets the economy of God’s community. It is an economy based on everyone watching out for each other. My first place position comes only by the giving of another, just as theirs comes by mine. Everything comes at you without cost; your giving does not buy what you get. So it is scary when someone approaches without understanding that giving buys the economy itself. It is like a black hole, in all its sucking nature, approaching the sun‘s radiant supply. The two will be fit well for each other only in as far as one has no more meaning than to be consumed by the other. Being taken advantage of and crowded by opportunists reminds me all too well that we live in a community of some black holes, some radiant suns, and many brown dwarfs hardly radiant at all nor big or close enough to suck up the radiance of others. Thank God for Jesus!

Love,
Steve Corey