August 29, 2008

Who's Words?

Today’s sermons are intertwined with video clips, anecdotes and quotes of men…all of which, in theory, are meant to enhance or compliment the message. Sometimes when the sermon is especially convicting we’ll say, “That really hit home. It felt like the preacher was talking straight to me.” When we hear a powerful sermon we realize that the Spirit has a hand in it, however we also compliment the preacher on his skill as a writer and speaker. In speaking to the Thessalonians Paul says, “…when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God,….” (1 Thess 2:13 NIV) When was the last time you heard a sermon where your mind registered it was actually the word of God, and not the word of man?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gail,

I have heard the "Word of God" instead the word of man the last few months at Christ's Church of the Valley!

The minister has really been giving us the "meat" of the Word! Sometimes we don't like to hear it, but it's something we need to hear and apply to our lives.

I thank God for him and Christ's Church of the Valley!

In Christian Love,

LaVelle Corey

Anonymous said...

Hi LaVelle.
-----LaVelle is my other mother. She is not affraid to stand out in the open, because she knows Who she stands for. Hooraa.

Love,
Steve Corey

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----I always stand more than twenty feet away from any comment that a sermon IS the Word of God. It should be noted that Paul used the plural personal pronoun at I Thes. 2:13. Does that “us” stretch all the way to those preaching today? Yes, if they stand in the pulpit and only read passages from the Bible. Otherwise, I am more than leery of preachers who try to stretch this scripture to include their sermons. I am less leery to hear it applied to sermons by others. And I totally respect the sentiments behind the statement made simply for its analogous value. For I believe, technically speaking, I Peter 4:11 covers all of us since Paul, “…whoever speaks, (do it) AS one who utters oracles from God…”

Love,
Steve Corey