August 18, 2008

Impromptu

I’m a member of Toastmasters so when I watched the recent Presidential ‘debate’ held at Saddleback Church, I did so with a critiquing eye. I actually thought Pastor Rick Warren did a good job as a facilitator. The candidates however, were at times driving me nuts. Senator Obama gets rave reviews for his prepared speeches, but it was painful listening to him field questions that called for an impromptu response. I think he had almost more ‘and, ahs and ums’ than he had clearly stated positions. McCain was more decisive and fared some what better, however he used the phrase “my friends” so often that I felt it also fell in the category of ‘and, ahs and ums’. Believers often find themselves searching for the right words, especially when we we’re in a witnessing situation. In a short period of time we’re trying to collect our thoughts, make an impression and do it all without making a slip of the tongue or offending the listener. Paul has a great solution for all speakers and communicators - “…be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction.” (2 Tim 4:2b NIV)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----I used to uh-and-ah a lot. I even stuttered at times, sometimes much. I have been working hard to stop, though. And what I have discovered is that all this is not necessarily indicative of either minimal intelligence or lack of preparation. I suppose many people think less verbally and more visually. It is a little harder for that kind of person to formulate even very familiar imagery into words fitting the situation. Therefore, I have learned to listen through the uh’s, ah’s, and stuttering for the strings of intelligible thought. It is only fair to the speaker.
-----Even though I have poked my share of fun at Barrrack’s busted up cadence, I listen through his stumbling, too. I really wish I had an opportunity to lend some advice to Barrack: it is OK to stop and think carefully about what you are trying to say, you do not need to fill dead time with uh‘s. Dead silence while maintaining the proper amount of eye contact and body language expressive of the thought being dredged up can even portray intelligence. You can ev en learn it as a technique for creating suspense to help carry your listeners’ attention. Intermittent silence can even accentuate the message. And I think some of Barrack’s messages need to be strongly accentuated because they are so helpful to McCain. One, for instance, was his advocating well inflated tires instead of well placed oil rigs.
-----Then there is McCain’s copious use of “my friends”, as you pointed out. McCain has always impressed me as a relational type person. I have heard him use the expression before. And I think he is entirely genuine in his use of it. I have never totally doubted McCain’s integrity. And I have always admired his courage to stand in the sight of all while holding to what he believes. But although I think McCain is savvy, having seen his legislative positions in the past, I am not impressed by his intelligence. I would rather have a presidential candidate who is just somewhat relational, just as genuine, courageous, and savvy, but more intelligent. Someone like uhh, umm, ahh…

Love,
Steve Corey

Christian Ear said...

Steve,
Great ending...thanks for the smile!
Gail