June 18, 2009

Amputee

The local Episcopal Church had a split and the majority of the congregants have walked away and started a new congregation…and the pastor went with them! It’s my understanding the left-behind group had fewer than a dozen attendees last Sunday. I know this was a hard decision to make for those who left, but I congratulate them for taking a stand against the direction their former parent church is taking. Paul says, “And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.” (Matt 5:30 NIV) Rather than just cutting off a hand or gouging out an eye, I think these folks did some serious amputation.

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----It is hard to say whether these folks lopped off a dead body part or an injured body part in need of care. I have heard that this issue was about the acceptance of homosexuality again, but I don’t know for certain. I say “again” because the church I attend addressed that issue recently, as well. Many of our churches bucked the pompous declarations from the pinnacle of the denomination. Some of our church members took a wait and see approach, others wanted a radical rebellion. So the others left in frustration, but eventually the pomp at the pinnacle was defeated. Our fellowship was then healed of the “accept practicing homosexuals” error, but suffered from the “lopping off of a wounded limb needing care” error. Was there any hope of defeating the arrogance at the top of the Episcopalian pinnacle? I don’t know that either. If there was, fellowship was abandoned, a terrible thing. If there was not, a gangrened body part was properly removed. I leave the conclusion to those closer to the situation.

Love you all,
Steve Corey