June 10, 2009

Unaware

We haven’t yet gotten the sign changed on our new church facility, so to the passer-by it still appears to be a restaurant. We did however put a mark of ownership on the marquee which reads, ‘Thank You God’. Yesterday a middle-aged man named John (not Tom in the June 3rd blog) was driving by when he read the marquee and had to stop. Unassuming and soft spoken he said, “I hope you don’t think it’s weird, but the Spirit told me I needed to come in and ask if I could do anything to help. Sometimes I avoid doing what the Spirit tells me to do…but this time I decided I was going to be obedient.” I felt a little funny asking him about doing windows, but he was willing. I was comfortable with the task I’d given him, because it required climbing an eight foot ladder – something that would have been difficult for our ladies. Engaging John in conversation I found out he belongs to another local congregation, he didn’t know that our building was a church…and by profession he is a building contractor. I have to tell you that I felt sheepish having asked a contractor with his own thriving business to simply wash windows. I was reminded of the passage in Hebrews, “Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.” Heb 13:2 NIV

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----It is interesting that you equate entertaining angels with allowing John to wash some windows. One would think that if John were the angel, entertaining him would have been to help him with a burden of his. But your recognition of this entertainment as being his participation in a burden of yours shows true understanding of the nature of God’s creatures and fellowship. For fellowship is participating in one another’s joys and burdens, and he had the desire to take part in the expressed joy of your sign by sharing in some of your burden. God’s creatures pant for this joy because others are the target of the love He creates in them. John has now tasted the joy you all are having, and being in construction, don't be surprised if he returns for more entertainment.

Love you all,
Steve Corey