June 17, 2009

Coveting

In our younger years most of us were guilty of seeing a gray-headed man driving a new Corvette convertible and thinking aloud, “That guy can’t possible appreciate such a smoking hot car as much as I would if it were mine. What does an old geezer need with a car like that anyway?” Or, we’d see some empty nesters rattling around in a five bedroom home and think, “They couldn’t possibly use all that room. Just think of what I could do if I had that much space.” Maybe our thought wouldn’t run so wild if we took Scripture to heart and actually realized that coveting is a sin…not just a mental exercise. Even Paul admits, “For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, “Do not covet.” (Romans 7:7b NIV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----Everyone lives in a situation which is unique to their own life. To wish that I had what someone else has blurs the vision I must have of my own unique situation. To continue my life with blurred vision impairs my ability to make wise choices regarding my own situation. Then the stuff of my life degrades from there. The degree to which our society partakes in covetousness sheds some light upon the degree to which it is messed up.

Love you all,
Steve Corey