July 20, 2009

Compare and Contrast

I think the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah just has the feel of God’s judgment. You can almost smell the burning sulfur raining down from heaven as a dense smoke rises from the land. For me the scene has Revelation written all over it. It’s sort of ironic that just being annihilated doesn’t spare these towns from having to go through the judgment. There is some not-so-bad news for Sodom and Gomorrah however…it will be more bearable for them on the day of judgment than it will be for the towns that did not welcome the disciples or listen to their words. (Matt 10:11-16)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----Sometimes I am rather tempted to think it is cruel for God to remain so hidden from our senses, and yet expect precise obedience. But then I quickly think of how deeply I would be challenged in the face of fully knowing God. Although some people think the angels who went to Sodom and Gomorrah were actually the Lord in His three persons, these angels did not linger there, performing evidencing miracles and living a persuasive life demonstrating the character of God. The towns the disciples were sent to had some eighteen centuries of history, the full text of the Old Testament, and Jesus’ testifying miracles, preaching, and demonstration of godly character to reflect upon for making their choices. Sodom and Gomorrah had none of this. Certainly the towns the disciples were sent to would be more accountable for their rejection. Having, in addition, the New Testament and at least a basic knowledge of church and world history of the last twenty centuries for my decisions, I feel uncomfortably even more accountable for my choices. So I conclude, in opposition to my temptations, that God is merciful to me to remain much hidden from the sight of my senses. And I understand a bit more why the actual sight of God Himself would mean instant death.

Love you all,
Steve Corey