July 21, 2009

Evangelizing

If you’ve been a believer for any length of time you’ve probably invested some effort in inviting people to church. You also know that people just don’t normally attend church without a personal invitation. Last week a man left a voice mail on the church phone apologizing for backing into our wooden privacy fence. He gave his name and cell phone number and asked how much it would cost to have the fence repaired. A couple of our deacons were able to fix the fence and told the man he could donate whatever he felt was appropriate. Going a step further the man said he thought he might as well just come to church…and he did. You’ve got to admit the Lord has an unconventional way of evangelizing.

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----I rarely invite people to church, and it bothers me a lot. Instead, I try to learn where people are relative to the Truth and to offer them a couple ideas that might be useful cobbles in the path leading to the Lord. I don’t even press them to accept the ideas. So I feel like a soldier dawdling on the battle field. I only hope and pray that the things I do and say will be useful to the Spirit’s ability to make impressions, rather than boldly striking the point. Evidently, the way the deacons dealt with the man who backed into the fence had a useful effect. Since it is the way I would have responded, too, I feel less remiss.

Love you all,
Steve Corey