March 25, 2010

Fighting the Good Fight

When I became a believer I knew there were spiritual battles to be fought, but I suppose I thought in terms of fighting a few rounds here and there. Perhaps running the occasional race or following a graph of maturing faith as it inches its way up. Obviously I was thinking in spurts, rather than lifetime achievement. Paul looks back over his 30 years as an apostle saying, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” (2 Tim 4:7 NIV) I rejoice over folks who come to the Lord in their latter years, but I am really heartened by those who can look back on their life knowing that they fought the good fight.

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----Fortunately the good fight to get us into eternal has been fought. Simply enlisting ourselves with a sincere desire and hope of becoming perfected into His kingdom is all we can do to gain salvation. That comes by calling on Jesus. The sincerity of the call allows transformation of the mind, in the least. Others work hard for transformation. So His body has the weak and the strong both. However much effort is engaged, just being in it is the beginning of the fight. Dieing while in it is the end of the fight. I Cor 3:13 assures us that, although our work in the fight will be tested and might be burned up, the soul calling upon the Lord will not. I rejoice over anyone who is in His body. Each fights the good fight in as much as he is able with the measure of faith he is given. I believe the measure of one’s works is not against that of others or that of the Lord’s, but according to the amount of faith God assigned to him (Rom 12:3). So I see anyone dieing in the Lord as having fought the good fight, matter not how much it may look to me like he accomplished. I believe my objective towards others in the Lord is not to measure works, but to spur one another on to doing good ones.

Love you all,
Steve Corey