June 13, 2012

Where Does it Hurt?

A friend and I were discussing the many people we know who are fighting cancer and she remarked, “Most people I know are suffering more in their mind than in their body.” She made a good point and I wondered if the same could be said of Jesus. Certainly crucifixion is a horrible, painful death, but beyond the Lord crying out in a loud voice as he breathed His last, there is no record of Him expressing the physical pain He endured. However there is evidence of His mental suffering, “My God, my God why have you forsaken me?” (Matt 27:46b NIV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----God knows the thoughts of all men. Nothing escapes His eye. Then to imagine there is some sort of lead curtain wrapped around our feelings and sensations is plain silly. He feels everything you feel. We do not outdo Him empathetically. Ever since Eve’s teeth broke the skin of the apple pain has been abundant. He’s felt it all. Until the day the earth and sky flees from His face He will feel the rest of it too. So He’s felt just a bit more than the pain of hanging on the cross.
-----Now one last thought of interest. You think He knows you by your thoughts and feelings alone? Not so. I think He far better knows the truth of you by the feelings of others caused by you.

Love you all,
Steve Corey