November 21, 2012

Old Friend

I went to my grandson’s Thanksgiving Day program at the Christian School and watched the middle school children put on a play about David and Goliath. The program, which was incorporated with their chapel service, began with the pledges (American flag, Christian flag, and the Bible), a prayer and three songs from the hymnal. It felt so good to hold a hymnal in my hands and I was amazed at how touched I was to see this old friend again. The musical notes, the author information with the date published, and an applicable passage of Scripture jumped off the hymnal pages. Like most churches today, my worship service uses slides and video, rather than hymnals. Although I take my Bible when I go to church, it is unnecessary because the Scriptural passages from the sermon are displayed on the overhead screen. Some of us have an emotional attachment to our Bibles and to hymnals, but I have to wonder about this current generation. Somehow I just can’t quite picture them having an enduring connection with a video screen.

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----I think everyone knows the old adage: use it or loose it. I had long forgotten the short bio’s on the authors and the scripture references. I just did not fully use the hymnals. So. I lost them. And I miss them, too. But it never crossed my mind that the Bible might be following the hymnal, albeit, at some distance. I use mine too much to have ever even cast a thought towards the prospect of the pompous overhead displacing it. But really, I don’t reach for a Bible when the scripture is read. I just look up. Worse yet, ninety percent of the reading I do in the Bible I do while staring into my computer monitor.

Love you all,
Steve Corey