November 30, 2012

Walk on By

When Charlie the dog comes to my house for a visit, he jumps up in the chair by the window so he can watch whatever is going on outside. As though he’s sounding the alarm or protecting the house, he’ll bark when someone walks by, or drives in the driveway. What I find interesting though, is that he never barks when he is outside. When I take him for a walk, the other dogs on leashes, or those in fenced yards, charge at him barking like they would like to tear his leg off. He’ll just stop and nonchalantly look at them, then simply walk on by. I sort of envy Charlie’s ability to just ignore those who are aggressive and out to eat him alive. “God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you”. So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?” (Heb 13:5b-6 NIV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----Whether our reaction is fight or flight, it kicks in automatically and quickly, unless we’ve willfully developed some really deep seated attitudes and feelings about meeting threatening, challenging, or moving experiences with thought. Fortunately, and for now, there are not a lot of aggressions coming at us which actually threaten physical damage. And the damage of some of those is bearable. But what is unbearable are many insights and very precious thoughts and reactions being not experienced because the mind tended a mental fight or flight instead of a quick moment of analysis and reason. The more I try to train myself to give collected and reasoned response to surprise, the more I begin to realize Jesus has a lot more for us to experience in turning the other cheek than just being flighty pansies.

Love you all,
Steve Corey