November 14, 2012

Stranger Than a Stranger

When we feed the hungry, visit those in prison, clothe those in need, give a drink to the thirsty, and invite strangers into our home, we are in effect doing those same acts of benevolence to the Lord. It’s not lost on me that rather than taking care of our own, the Lord emphasizes these acts of kindness are done towards strangers…people that we don’t already know. In some cases that’s a relief. I don’t know about you, but for me there are times that inviting a stranger into my home is preferable to extending an invitation to an eccentric family member. “The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’” (Matt 25:40 NIV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----Strangers are scary. Ted Bundy was a stranger. Ok, then, maybe he wasn’t a brother of the Lord’s. But can we diminish his jailhouse conversion any more than Chuck Coulson’s? Well! Then he wasn’t a brother at the time he was murdering all them girls! “...and the dwellers on earth whose names have not been written in the book of life from the foundation of the world...” (Rev 17:8) Uh. So he was a brother while he was murdering all them girls, because his name was written in the book of life, like mine was written there too. Every time I encounter someone living wretchedly, then, I must consider the possibility I am encountering someone who will eventually be a Ted Bundy, a Jeffrey Dahmer, or a Chuck Coulson whose name is presently written in the Lamb‘s book of life. Gee. I guess strangers really are scary.


Love you all,
Steve Corey