July 16, 2013

Just Another Project

One Sunday after church a woman stopped by the table where I was counting the offering and in an effort to make casual conversation she said, “Oh, that’s something we need to do - make a contribution. But we already support so many other projects.” With a half-chuckle she continued, “And of course you know we’re always helping out our kids too.” I don’t know whether or not she expected a response, but I didn’t have one.

However, Paul’s words to the Corinthians may fit the situation. “For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what he does not have.” (2 Cor 8:12 NIV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----I like your response. She should have said as much, too. If she needed to make a contribution there would have been no “but”, because her necessity to contribute would have endured her generosity to the other projects and her children. Then why did she say anything? I might be wrong, but it seems to me her real need was a good lick of your boots, kind of saying, “Pardon me for looking chintzy by not giving even a mite to your cause, for really I am good, please understand. I give in all the places you’ve not seen.”
-----Part of the reason we must stay alert is to prevent our own notions from veneering over reality. We don’t contribute to any church because contributing to a church is our need to do. We contribute because others have needs and we have supply.

Love you all,
Steve Corey