July 26, 2013

Know It All

It’s not that I’m never wrong, but I really do have a pretty good track record for being right. Consequently, my family takes way too much pleasure in highlighting when I’ve been wrong about something.

It’s my observation that many of us downplay our knowledge, wisdom, and intuition, and yet we celebrate the demonstration of joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Gal 5:22-23).  I suppose we are cautious to expose our wisdom for fear of being labeled a know-it-all.

Rather than downplaying the gift wisdom, perhaps we should acknowledge the source of the wisdom…the One who truly is the Know It All.

“For the LORD gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.” (Proverbs 2:6 NIV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----My Dad had an expression that tickles me to this day. “I might not always be right, but I’m never wrong.” There is something about it which rings true, which I also sense in your good track record for being right, yet occasionally found wrong. Rush Limbaugh is also impugned for his track record, and many jealously slander his confidence as arrogance. So also I’ve been accused of being a know-it-all, my wife has been, and so has just about everyone who humbly drives towards knowing and understanding the patterns of truth mixed in with a massive garble fabricated by generations of rebellious ambitions. It is a small part of the reason Judeo-Christianity is so impugned.
-----All to know is far more expansive than any one mind can absorb. But that is not a discouragement to the godly mind’s humble inquisitiveness; it is an accelerant. The search for understanding and wisdom with humility in the heart unwraps knowledge hidden within many mysteries.
-----Humility’s discouragement is towards talking about what has not been known as if it is known, and its encouragement is towards expressing what its mind certainly knows. Having led the godly mind through many inquisitive adventures, there is much to talk about. So the godly mind might not always be right in that it neither knows everything, nor does it correctly know what it is yet discovering, but its expressions of discovered truths are never wrong. So arrogance will forever be jealous of humility, and we who love humility will keep on talking about what we‘ve come to certainly know.

Love you all,
Steve Corey