July 23, 2013

Sorting

Sorting through decades of photographs from multiple generations is overwhelming. I wanted to give some of the pictures to cousins, nieces and nephews, so my first thought was to divide them up according to branches on the family tree. It didn’t help that I also had to deal with broken limbs of marriage, divorce, remarriage and re-remarriage.

I couldn’t always identify who belonged to what side of the family and the holiday and reunion photos began to look like intertwining vines rather than branches. 

I finally decided to lessen my heartburn by simply taking out the photos that I want to keep and boxing up the remaining collection to pass on to the next person in line.

However, as I sorted the photos I throw away many that were of people I don’t know - those with no names or dates written on the back, no family resemblances, and no identifiable homesteads and outbuildings.

Discarding a photograph is much different than discarding a soul, but there is a commonality. “Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’” (Matt 7:22-23 NIV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----I find it interesting that these evildoers were never known by God, yet His eyes “…are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good.” (Prov 15:3). If watching every action of a person in his lifetime would seem to provide enough information to form knowledge, then you would surely think searching their hearts would, “For he knows the secrets of the heart.” (Ps 44:21b)
-----Beyond being an idiomatic expression still used today, that God sees everything from its fruits to its roots in the depths of every heart and mind shows His incredible intimacy. That He knows the secrets of the heart means He knows every option and alternative every person has contemplated, every feeling and inkling involved with each, and every attitude and habit from which these came. Yet He does not know the very evildoers whom He can define and describe even better than can they themselves.
-----It comforts me to know there is something more to God’s knowing than just His observing.

Love you all,
Steve Corey