October 30, 2019

Keepsakes


As I unpack boxes from our recent move into a new house, I keep coming across items of family members who lived with us before they passed away – my mom, sister and mother-in-law. When I started organizing the items, I was taken aback to discover that between the three of them, and myself, we had almost 20 jewelry boxes full of treasures and mementos. I suppose I’ve continued to keep the jewelry boxes, with their contents intact, because they have become keepsakes of the one who owned them. Jesus said “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” (Matt 6:19-21 NIV). I wish someone could explain to me why I’m storing up treasures for those who are now deceased.
      

No comments: