October 28, 2019

The Lost


Wildfires in California have required thousands to evacuate. In an interview one woman evacuated, but then wanted to run back into the home to retrieve her jewelry box which contained he father’s wedding ring. Through tears she said, “But they wouldn’t let me go back in and everything is now burned up.” I’m reminded of the rich man and Lazarus in the afterlife. While Lazarus was comforted at father Abraham's side, the rich man was tormented. He asked if Lazarus could dip the tip of his finger in water to cool his tongue because he was in agony in the fire; however, a great chasm separated them. The rich man said, “Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father’s house, for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment” (Luke 16:27-28 NIV). The woman in California has a shared experience with the rich man, neither can go back to retrieve, nor to save what is lost.


No comments: