September 18, 2008

Are You Sure?

Last weekend a young lady stood at my front door saying, “I’m an XYZ supporter and I’d just like to ask you if you’ve made up your mind about who you’re going to vote for in November.” I told her I’d be voting for ABC and crest fallen she said, “Oh, are you sure?” Bless her heart. One of the biggest weaknesses believers have is the fact that we’re not sure of ourselves - whether it’s being sure of our salvation or being sure of our Scriptural knowledge. Of course we sabotage each other by expecting the other guy to prove himself to us. I suppose because of our human nature we come by it naturally. Even when Jesus told the disciples, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6 NIV), they were saying, ‘Oh, are you sure?’ (vs. 5 & 8)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;

-----Uncle Bob was may favorite uncle. He worked for my dad the last years of his productive life. Occasionally I was sent to work with him on a fence, a ditch, chasing a cow, or whatever. When he would discuss with me the plans for the project, I almost invariably responded with, “Are you sure?” That used to drive him nuts, because he was sure. He knew the details and had the experience. Why would he not be sure?
-----I think our human nature to ask this is less flawed in the curiosity behind it, and more flawed in the inaccuracy of the question. Our lack of knowledge about the details and experience is a vacuum stretching our ability to believe the issue at hand. Maybe the accurate question would be, “Could you take a minute and share with me the details so I can also know like you know?” For I am always quick to look at myself in light of what Paul wrote, “ If any one imagines that he knows something, he does not yet know as he ought to know.” (I Cor 8:2). Then on the other hand, I’ve always had a way of driving people up a wall, because they perceive my desire to know as they know to be a demand of them to explain themselves. Oh, well.

Love,
Steve Corey