September 16, 2008

Fruitless

Figuratively speaking, there may be little difference between a Christian and a fig tree. Like the fig tree, believers are expected to bare fruit in season. On his way to Jerusalem Jesus encountered a fruitless fig tree and speaking to the tree he said, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.”(Mark 11:14 NIV) Quite honestly, there are times in our Christian walk when we’ve shown no evidence of fruit. How devastating would it be for Jesus to say to us, ‘May no one ever eat fruit from YOU again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;

-----This situation with the fig tree bothered me for many years. I have always perceived my life to be rather fruitless. After much pondering, I found some relief when it occurred to me that the Bible does not teach fruit production as simply saving the lost. Of course, in a real sense, the godliness in your life does add to the conviction of those who see and finally call upon Jesus. And I knew my life had added somewhat to a few decisions, however indirectly, but not to multitudes. What brought me greater relief was when I took Galatians 5:22 at its word. The fruit of the Spirit listed there are attitudes of the new life, not numbers of saved souls. Although I could see those attitudes growing in me, each was there only to a degree, none were there totally. So withering was still a possibility.
-----What finally turned my bother to hope and comfort was when I realized Jesus went to that tree to see if it had ANY figs, and found that it had NONE. Our call upon Jesus’ name does not depend upon its volume or shrillness. It merely depends upon its being made. Had that fig tree born at least a little fruit, I believe Jesus would have received it graciously. But it bore NOTHING to be received. Now I look at myself, and especially others, and if there is any fruit there at all, I know His grace and mercy are there too.

Love,
Steve Corey