May 29, 2009

Editing

A boy was watching his father, a pastor, write a sermon. “How do you know what to say?” he asked. His father said, “Why, God tells me.” The boy said, “Oh, then why do you keep crossing things out?” I can relate…Taking this thought a step further, many of us also seem to cross things out in our thinking and speaking. Who are we to edit when Jesus says, For I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict.” (Luke 21:14-15 NIV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----Jesus indeed gives us words. But since they are words given by Him, they will be words similar to what He spoke. They were words solidly based on His Father’s principles proceeding from the lifelong thoughts of a careful man. I’ve always seen Jesus as being a very ponderous man, and the simple, unarguable things He said as having come from long spells of pondering God’s Word in respect to the things happening around Him. Many of the things He said may well have been His habitual sayings resulting from the former editing of deeper and more complex lines of reasoning. So I never am bothered by my thought processes going so deep they need editing back before presentation. What bothers me is that most of the time I present before doing sufficient editing, and therefore miss the simple words Jesus may rather have me use.


Love you all,
Steve Corey