August 06, 2009

The Answer Is

We all have friends and relatives who we suspect do not have a personal relationship with the Lord. Rather than our trying to witness to them through conversation, we often rely on the Holy Spirit to use our Christian life style to point them toward Christ. Not that talking to them couldn’t be productive. It just seems counterproductive to ask someone if they believe that Jesus is the Son of God knowing full well that they don’t even believe in God. Another reason I’m hesitant to ask someone if they believe that Jesus is the Christ is because I’m afraid of the answer...What if they say, “No”? I know this is skewed thinking, but somehow it seems that as long as a person doesn’t outright verbally deny Christ, then the Spirit still has an opportunity to work on them. Or maybe it’s that I really don’t want a loved one to confirm my suspicions that he’s forever lost…

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----You introduce a topic I wrestle with continually. I consciously avoid being a salesman, because I refuse to badger people. But the impending threat of eternal doom is enough to cause great love for even the most unknown of the strangers, let alone beloved family members. Still, I do not push through my aversion to salesmanship and bring up the topic. And I even know that on that Day when I stand in the halls of His judgment room, no attitude or circumstance of this temporal life will rise to the level of sufficient excuse when those whom I did not speak to cast eyes upon me thinking, “You knew, yet you said nothing?” I am so pitiful! I’ve got to get my attitudes under control. Time is running out.

Love you all,
Steve Corey