August 28, 2009

The Good Life

My sister just received her third cancer diagnosis in six years. First a lung was removed, then a brain tumor and now a tumor on her spine. Although I wouldn’t necessarily describe Shelly as optimistic, I would say that she has never been pessimistic. A week ago when she learned about the tumor on her spine she said, “Damn…I was hoping for better news than that. Oh well, I’ve prayed about it and that’s all I can do. But even if it’s bad, it’s OK. I’ve lived a good life.” Now I know we all have our own skewed view of life, but Shelly has also battled alcohol and prescription drug addiction for years…and yet she feels she has lived a good life. I suppose to one degree or another everyone thinks they’ve lived a good life. Guess we’ll all find out for certain when it comes time for us to stand before the Lord.

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----Jesus even said, “No one is good but God alone.” (Mark 10:18). And Paul says, referring to Psalms 14:1-3, “…I have already charged that all men, both Jews and Greeks, are under the power of sin, as it is written: ‘None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands, no one seeks for God. All have turned aside, together they have gone wrong; no one does good, not even one.’” (Rom 3:9b-12) When we stand before the judgment seat, our names won’t be found in the Book of Life based upon our righteousness. They will be there based upon His righteousness and our decision to accept it. So, “I have lived a good life,” is wholly inadequate for any prospect of continuing life after death. The desire to be a part of that perfect life and the desire to be perfect within it are the sentiments of God’s drawing us to be asking for His righteousness that will write our names there.
-----Living the good life would then seem an important indication of our sincerity in desiring it. But Jesus told His disciples they were to forgive seventy times seven times, not expecting them to be more forgiving than His Father. I know a brother in the Lord who has during his adult life regularly fallen into alcoholism. He has also regularly climbed back out of it, being sorrowful, repentant, and trusting in God‘s forgiveness. He has not lived the bad life because of his many falls. Regardless of the fact that he has next to nothing because of this problem, he has lived the good life since he has fought against his failings. In fact, he has been more generous with the little he has than I have been with the more that I have. And I think he has been kinder and more loving towards me than I have been towards him. And his faith demonstrated by regaining his feet numerous times is a flag of testimony raised high. Maybe he has lived the better life than I have.
-----Since our lives are lived in this condition of good mixed with evil, every one of us has a current against which we must swim. They are not the currents of our past or present conditions that measure the good or bad of our lives, or validate the sincerity of our calling upon Him, but it is the direction we swim within them.

Love you all,
Steve Corey