August 26, 2009

You Didn't See That

When we commit a traffic infraction while driving in town we normally avoid eye contact with other drivers. For instance, if you take the right-of-way from another driver you don’t want to look him in the eye because you know, that he knows, that you are in the wrong. Or haven’t we all rushed a yellow caution light and wound up running a red light. We don’t want to see the reaction of other drivers so we look out the window, fiddle with something in the car seat or stare straight ahead…it’s as though we believe, ‘if I don’t look you in the eye then you don’t know what I’ve done’. Sort of reminds you of Adam in the Garden of Eden…he probably thought, ‘If I don’t make eye contact with God, He won’t notice’.

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----Mistakes are inevitable and pervasive. In my career, I am expected to not make mistakes. That is a very hard challenge working alone, as I do. I have no one to vet my work but myself. When I make a mistake my next attitude is critical, because I have found the wrong response is a gateway to piling another mistake upon the first. Behind the steering wheel, that can be deadly. Looking out the side window, fiddling with something, or just staring straight ahead invites vulnerability to the next obstacle we may then unwittingly encounter. On the other hand, training intense attention back onto the road in front of us may produce the tunnel vision that fails to see the danger from the side we may have stumbled into. So, I have learned that recovery from mistakes must be humble but not defeatist, relaxed but not detached, respectful but not submissive, and immediate but not forceful. Most importantly, fear must be ignored, because it takes courage to diligently pick up the pieces and put them as well back into order as possible. You can take it from me, since I am the maestro of making mistakes, I’ve become rather good at catching them, too.


Love you all,
Steve Corey