July 24, 2012

Measure of a Church

I was somewhat taken back Sunday by one of our ladies who was beside herself after church. All those taking part in the service with announcements and prayer requests failed to mention the recent shooting tragedy in Aurora. She asked tearfully, “Why didn’t someone have prayer for the victims and their families? What kind of a church is this? What is wrong with this church that we can’t all pray for them?” My response to her was that it was not an intentional oversight by the leaders. I remaindered her that she too had more than one opportunity at the closing of the service to bring the concern before the congregation.  Weighing most heavily on my mind is her question, “What kind of a church is this?” I hate to think that those who fellowship as a congregation measure a church by their prayers. “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.” (Matt 6:5-6 NIV)

2 comments:

Pumice said...

Good point.

I would also assume that people were praying on their own. God listens to more than the prayers offered up during Sunday morning worship.

Grace and peace.

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----When I was a child the instrument panel on my Dad’s airplane impressed me greatly. There were gauges all over it, and a few knobs for adjustments, too. Dad always liked to point out all the different dials and meters while explaining what they meant, why paying attention to them was important, and how all their different readings interrelated to equal the total measure of your flight. I think the church is even more complicated than an airplane flight, so I don’t think its measure can be read from one meter. It’s a good thing this lady wasn’t piloting an airplane the way she was measuring the church or she would have demonstrated the meaning of the airport idiom “prang your plane”.

Love you all,
Steve Corey