July 27, 2012

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall

Late yesterday afternoon I rubbed my ear and to my chagrin I realized that all day I had worn mismatched earrings. Oh, they were both green, but not the same color of green, nor the same size or shape. I wonder what James would have to say about the person who doesn’t even know what they look like while they’re still standing in front of the mirror. “Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.” (James 1:23-24 NIV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----We can not even begin to grasp the enormity of existence. An infinity of things (or near to it) lays far outside our means to experience them. The comparably, infinitesimally small area we can experience is yet so packed with sensory information that God gave our brains a mechanism to filter most of it out so we can even have a chance to function with focus. This mechanism worked well when all things were very good. But in our fallen states, it is no wonder there are so many biases and disagreements. We don’t even begin to see the whole of what is around us. And everyone sees things a little differently. The filter works too well. “For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood.” (I Cor 13:12)


Love you all,
Steve Corey