June 07, 2013

Evangelism 101

I took my grandkids to play at a family entertainment center where they made friends with five-year-old Shaylee, who could be overheard telling her grandma, “I’m really having fun with my two new best friends.” About an hour later seven year-old Lydia came to me downcast saying, “I don’t think I like Shaylee anymore. She told me that she didn’t have to love everyone if she didn’t want to.” I know exactly how Lydia feels. There are times when, even as adults, our attempts at witnessing, evangelism, and fellowship get rebuffed simply because we’ve applied the Lord’s commands to the wrong audience. Jesus was speaking to his disciples when He said, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35 NIV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----It does well to note the timing of Jesus’ command and to whom it was given. Of course, it is a command to all people in that love for all is one of the most basic concepts of existence. But He did not speak it to His disciples when first calling them. He spoke it to them after many months of training them in godliness and righteous thinking. Jesus kept the cart behind the horse and His goods got hauled to whomever would receive them.

Love you all,
Steve Corey