June 24, 2013

The Spirit Within

The reality show called Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition follows an overweight person for a year and documents their struggle and their success with losing weight. One episode is of a 21 year-old woman who has been overweight all her life and started the program weighing in at 369 pounds. “I’ve always asked God to just someday let me see what it feels like to be skinny. The person I really am, the one on the inside is trapped in this body.” Although the situation itself is not funny, I have to laugh when I imagine what the indwelling Holy Spirit might say, ‘Just someday let me see what it feels like to be righteous and holy. The Person I really am, the One on the inside is trapped in this body.’

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----I remember when I was nine years old I thought I would never be twenty. It just wasn’t possible. I was getting accustomed to being ten, because I was almost that. But twenty? And it really should not have occurred to me as such an impossibility. For only a few short years before then, I was sure I would never be ten.
-----There is something about the future which denies its coming. In the fifty-nine years tucked under my belt, I have more wonderment about “never-arriving” future circumstances now turned into reflections of past attitudes than I have mind-set of today. I not only know, but also feel that moment when I’ll be eighty-nine. There won’t be any “if I’m still alive.” Because in seeing these future mile markers come and go, I’m learning what it is to feel the eternal life we have. I will be alive, for I am alive. My body may have gone through the same transformation by then.
-----God bless this 21 year old woman. Her svelte beauty is not just within her. The time will be when it will be her outer as well as inner being. The mind is an incredible tool of God’s giving. As you decide an determine what order to make of it, then do make of it, it makes of you. Who knows what transformation of habits and metabolism could transpire from thinking and feeling the mindset of thin.

Love you all,
Steve Corey