June 05, 2013

Whatever You Do

The church group Care Givers was discussing ideas on what they could do to support a fellow believer who was critically ill when someone mentioned that people could donate blood. Whipping her head around one woman said, “What did you say? Really, we can donate blood? I’d rather do that than cook a meal any day!” You’ve got to love it. I can only imagine the reaction if asked to take a meal to a shut in and one responded, ‘I’ll donate a pint.’ Paul reminds us, “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” (Col 3:17 NIV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----I strongly believe that God uses to one effect or another every effort His people make, no matter how rational or irrational they might be to the situation of concern. This makes me feel cozy in the idea that even if I don’t make good sense in what I’m trying to do, it will drive a rivet or something for His kingdom somewhere. Even when we goof up and do something damaging, I think He recoups benefit He can use in ways we wouldn’t imagine. I doubt that He’s this kind of guy, but still, I like to think it is His way of spitting in Satan’s eye for us.
-----So I’m imagining Care Givers are getting much benefit generated for our Father. But I’m also thinking I didn’t read what I thought would be the most relevant suggestion in that meeting. The fact that these people were sitting around brainstorming what they might do to help rather impressed upon me that there was nobody close to the sick person present. Therefore, the suggestion I would have expected, or would have raised if I were there, would have been to send one of us to whoever would know what was yet needed and ask. Then the efforts would have more direct benefit of hopefully greater impact than otherwise.

Love you all,
Steve Corey