November 24, 2006

Bad Company

Legendary actress Angela Landsbury is the star of the television show Murder She Wrote. During an interview she complemented fellow actors she had worked with by saying, “We’re as good as the people we’re with.” Certainly there are relationships where we can bring out the best in one another, however the Apostle Paul puts a twist on this thought when he cautions the Corinthians, “Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character.” (1 Cor 15:33 NIV) We can’t always pick and choose the people we associate with, but we must pick and choose character building relationships wisely, including those relationships within the church.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----Always the micro-analyzer that I am, whenever I begin building a new relationship the first aspect I consider is who is bad company to whom. There is always something about my character that may be bad company to someone else. There is always something about somone else's character that may be that to me. This is important for me to know, because I neither want to corrupt another nor be corrupted by another.
----The question to me is not always about whether I want to associate with someone or not. In fact, it is rarely about disassociation. It is most often about whether I make efforts to influeence and edify, or whether I tend more to the passive nature to receive influence and be edified.
----His body is a holy temple that is joined together and is growing. So as each of us increases in measure of stature towards the fulness of Christ, from one degree of glory to the next, we attain different levels of maturity in different areas of spiritual life such that we really do sharpen one another as iron sharpens iron. So below that level of significance that requires disassociation, it is always important for me to discover at any moment in a relationship whether I am the dull knife or the sharpening steel.

Eph 2:21, II Cor 3:18, Eph 4:13, Prov 27:17, II Cor 5:9-13.