November 28, 2006

Driving Away

In our community there is no public transportation. For us, a car is not only a necessity, but it also represents independence. Over the years I’ve seen friends and family forced to stop driving because of age or other physical limitations. Honestly, I think that some of them would rather give up their left leg than relinquish their car or their driver’s licenses. The other day my great aunt, who hasn’t driven for many years, got a catch in her throat as she recalled giving away her car to her grandson. “It was my decision to finally quit driving and I was OK with that…until I saw my car drive away. It was like giving up my past and letting go of what my life had been.” Moses too was forced to relinquish his ‘driving credentials’. God told Moses to climb Mount Nebo and view Canaan in the distance. Unable to accompany his fellow Israelites into the Promised Land, I'm sure Moses felt like he was watching ‘his car was drive away.’

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----One of my clients, who has come into his eigth decade, told me last weak that God gives us old age to produce in us the desire to die. Although I found it worth a few chuckles, the truth in it is deep.
----By the end of my high school years I acquired more than an ambivalence towards being alive. With an attitude adjustment in my twenties, I never actually stopped relishing the thought of joining the blissful in the place of bliss, but I did find what would bring me joy in these pitiful conditions of a sinful life.
----I knew Jesus at that time, but I was not familiar with His concept, delivered through Paul, of dying daily. I knew one should not hold too tightly to things for the sake of others (sometimes should hold tightly to things for the sake of others - everything is so complex). But all of my ambitions were to hold to what I wanted and scuttle what I did not. As I learned how painful this life can be I learned also how relieving a little bit of Biblically directed dying could be.
----So as I now rumble down the road of life I find it actually fun to be dodging potholes and timing washboards, shaving a little of myself off here and a little off there. To know that the road narrows greatly before it ends does not disturb me. Jesus is faithful to give us whatever skills are needed to manuever any conditions our roads may bear. And I will always be more than happy to check my driver's license at the door at the end of the road.