November 07, 2006

Good Leadership in Action

After an investigation, the leaders of New Life Church in Colorado Springs removed the Rev. Tom Haggard from his position as Senior Pastor. I applaud their swift disciplinary action and the manner in which they are handling this very public sin. In a television interview I was especially impressed when one of the pastors at New Life Church who spoke of Mr. Haggard saying, “If he can, we hope that he’ll come and worship with us.” Rather than calling on the congregation to ‘treat him (Haggard) as a pagan and a tax collector’, the leadership has immediately started the process of restoring a brother. “Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.” (Gal 6:1-2 NIV)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----Maybe I am still missing information here. All I can certainly recall as confession from Mr. Haggard is that to curiosity and temptation. Maybe in that is the sin of lying, but I have not heard evidence that would validate such a conclusion. From what I know, my heart bleeds for Mr. Haggard. Is he being washed up over an unsubstantiated accusation? Or should my heart bleed for myself for being woefully uninformed of the concluding evidence?