November 02, 2006

Out of the Tombs

I have an Aunt who has always been eccentric and difficult to get along with. She’s now in her 70’s, widowed with no children and addicted to prescription drugs. Her sisters would do anything they could for her, but she refuses their help and won’t cooperate with available social service programs. I’m not suggesting that my Aunt has an evil spirit, but her situation reminds me of the demon possessed man in the region of the Gadarenes (Matt 8, Mark 5, Luke 8). This man lived in the tombs, didn’t wear clothes, cut himself with stones and cried out day and night. He was so strong he couldn’t be subdued and so violent that no one could pass by the tombs. While I have sympathy for the demon possessed man, I really identify with his family. Surely they grieved and were at the end of their rope trying to help someone who couldn’t, or wouldn’t be helped. I need to be reminded that despite all effort, only Jesus can bring our loved ones out of the tombs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----I have a few close ones living among the tombs also. One really does seem to be beyond help. But another is slowly growing up. I probably seem rather callous to many, but I notice that Jesus did not go seeking out the Gadarene demoniac. He crossed paths with him and took advantage of the window of opportunity. Fortunate for the demoniac!
----We can only help our neighbors to the extent that we have opportunity, and to that extent we must do what we are able. I am sure Jesus heard of the demoniac, and maybe He chose His route to maximize an opportunity to meet the demoniac. We need to do that as well for those who need help.
----But unlike what Jesus did for this man, we can not force the destructive element out of a neighbor's life. When we have done what we can, there are other things that need our attention, and moving on always becomes the next step. It is best to replace the dissapointment with a prayer and some Biblical pondering.