November 29, 2006

Jumping to the Same Beat

I hate being at a stop light when the stereo in the car next to me is blaring so loud that my car starts jumping to the same beat. I’m irritated that another driver forces his music on me and I mentally label him as rude, inconsiderate, and offensive. His motives on the other hand, probably have more to do with wanting to bring attention to his car, his stereo system…and to himself. The situation reminds me of the Pharisees, “Everything they do is done for men to see: They make their phylacteries wide and the tassels on their garments long; they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; they love to be greeted in the marketplaces and to have men call them ‘Rabbi.’ (Matt 23:5-7 NIV) Can’t you just imagine amplifiers and woofers in the hands of a Pharisee?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----I know what you mean. The word that comes to my mind is ostentatious. I grew up never wanting to be noticed. So it became easy for me to lose myself in the shadows and patterns of life. In turn, I grew a distaste for the noisy, rowdy, and boistrous behavior of many, especially since it often happens with disregard for others. Consequently, I suffered much depression before it finally dawned on me why it was always the noisy, rowdy, boistrous ones who were ceasing up all of the opportunities.
----Having grown up, I have acquired a lot of appreciation for people (especially after being married to that precious lady of mine for fifteen years.) They have all kinds of motives for the things they do and enjoy. Even when I can get the radio in my car to work and I stumble accross one of the golden oldies I have loved, I find myself cranking it to the point of distortion. That is about all my ears can handle, and I can't figure why anyone would crank it louder. But then, I haven't dumped a fortune into paint peelers for radio speakers, such that I would need a return on my investment, either. Maybe the land of the ostentatious lies beyond my tame little stock ones.
----So also, my mind usually goes to the, "Ee-gad, you show-off," thought when I hear the kids thumping the air with their expensive, bassey stereos. But the streets are the place you would expect that kind of behavior. What bothers me is that I have seen it welcomed into churches as well, to the pain of many sensitive ears. But I always try to chase any negative thoughts down with, "These guys are my neighbors, they're having fun. God bless them, forgive their disregard, and save their ears."