May 09, 2008

Bells and Whistles

We just got a new van and I’m embarrassed to admit how many bells and whistles it has. Suffice it to say as Leslie was exploring buttons in the back seat and the Cartoon Network appeared on the DVD screen. Buying the van on Wednesday and going to Denver on Thursday there was no time to read a two inch thick operator’s manual. I’m not as adventurous as the rest of my family and normally I don’t push a button until I know what will happen. I told Bill, “Just give me the basics. How do you turn on the headlights, operate the windshield wipers and run the air conditioner.” I am literally rejoicing that the gas tank lid isn’t controlled by another button hidden under the dashboard. I had these same kinds of feelings when I became a Christian. The Operations Manual was so thick I was overwhelmed. Thank goodness for Sunday School teachers and Bible Study leaders who started me on the road with the basics.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----They make a car for me in India, but our government won’t let me have one. You get in, turn it on, and it takes you to work on a tiny bit of gasoline. It comes standard with a heater, a windshield wiper, and turn signals. A radio is extra. You can pick one up new in India for $ 2,500. Our car has buttons you press and the windows go up and down. And we’ve paid half the price of the Indian car just keeping those windows going up and down. Throw in the price of one water pump, an alternator, and Shazzam, we’ve spent more repairing three simple systems on our Buick than what we would have paid for an Indian car.
-----But of course, you don’t get into that Indian car as much as you put it on. And it only seats two people, which I am sure would feel like both trying to wear the same pair of pants at once. Now, I am sure Char and I would be ok with that, but we have daughters, too, and sometimes groceries to carry. Char and the girls like pushing the window buttons, running the air conditioner, the radio, and such. So, for their joy, the repair bills are well spent. And I am the same way about Sunday school teachers and Bible studies: just give me the basics, and I can take it from there. Any need I have for more is for Char and my Sweetie Peas.

Love,

Steve Corey