May 01, 2008

Home

I recently met a young man at work who has only lived here two weeks. During our get to know you conversation, he said he noticed one major difference between where he was from and the folks here. He was surprised that people here didn’t glare at you when you went to the supermarket. I can understand his reaction. With things at XYZ Church becoming more and more skewed, I began attending other local churches. As I sampled each church, I found it a bit odd that although I knew people at each church, or in one case went with a friend, no one really went out of their way to welcome me. I have no doubt that these churches love the Lord and His word, but for being more ‘seeker friendly’ (if that term is still being used) they didn’t seem as friendly as I remembered. Since beginning services at my new church I have come to the realization of what seeker friendly truly means. It is the genuine desire of those of like faith to want a brother or sister, flaws and all, as Christ wants us. The last two Sundays, hugs have abounded and my heart is overflowing. Those hugs however aren’t just from those I have grown up admiring, I’m getting hugs from people who I only know in the Spirit. I’m glad I didn’t have to go as far as my young friend to find people who care. You were right here all along.--Leslie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Leslie;
-----I have noticed over the last few years churches are trending towards community outreach and, as you noted, making themselves “seeker friendly,” for the sake of The Great Commission. Going through the nightmare of it for several years at a neighboring church showed me that these efforts were regarded by them as the good works we were created in Christ Jesus to do (Eph 2:10) and as the living sacrifices we make of our bodies (Rom 12:1). But that perspective is the same as trying to understand and appreciate a Van Gogh piece looking through a soda straw. The works we were created to do are much, much broader than what fit’s the confines of The Great Commission only. We are to comfort one another, exhort one another, please one another, welcome one another, be kind to one another, serve one another, give aid to one another, there is teaching, encouraging, and spurring one another on to all sorts of good works. The body consists of a multitude of different needs for good works, and so does the community around it. When properly led, those of the body will be inspired to do all of the good works they were created to do, because the leaders will not be demanding everyone to look at only The Great Commission through soda straws. Now that you, Leslie, have parted from that environment as well, I believe you are experiencing the fresh air around those who know of the rest of the works and sacrifices. “Welcome one another, therefore, as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.” (Rom 15:7)

Thank God.
Love.
Steve Corey