May 15, 2008

Making Do

During my junior high school years I attended a one room school house. On Sundays the school house became the community church. Everyone came together for a time of worship and when it was time for Sunday school the kids left the building. In the summer our class was held on the merry-go-round and in the winter we’d climb in the teacher’s car and turn on the heater to stay warm. Twisting sideways and putting her back toward the steering wheel Mrs. Harrington used the headrest area of the seat as a lectern to give us our lesson. In today’s church we are so worried about making everyone comfortable that we often forget our service can still be productive even when the environment is lacking. One of the start-up churches just had its first baptism…down in the local river. Do you know how cold the spring runoff is right now? Congratulations to the young man who humbly faced Christ and braved hyperthermia!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----Making do should be understood as a relative term. My life has been full of make-do and make-shift. I have always felt so overwhelmed by all the stuff that needs done to maintain an acceptable lifestyle that I learned the bad habit of making do. But after a certain level of investment in making do, multitudes of things having then been made do are now beginning to turn up in need of remaking. Their need for repair only adds pressure to the rest of what needs first construction as life comes at me. The realization that it is important to make some things do, yet other things complete and full, comes too late in my life. I am becoming swamped with remake projects. But two things ride to my rescue: 1) I am crossing over to the shorter half of my allotted time, things no longer need to last as long, & 2) my relationship with my wife never was a make do procedure, but always an in full and to the completion one. So she will always be there to help me with the remake does.

Love,
Steve Corey