May 13, 2008

A Book and Its Cover

In the February 2008 issue of the Christian Communicator there is an article on self-publishing written by Athena Dean. She says, “We know the saying, ‘You can’t judge a book by the cover’ isn’t true. You can and you do, and so does the buying public.” Ms. Dean points out that if a potential buyer likes the cover they’ll then turn the book over and read the back-cover copy. However let’s face it; we also judge people by their appearances, as well as their actions, before making a personal investment. Haven’t we all known brothers and sisters that upon first glance, we wouldn’t even consider taking off the shelf? What I think many of us fail to realize is just how important they are to the cause of Christ. --Gail

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
-----Thank you! For some idiotic reason, early in my life, I determined I was not going to concern myself with my outward appearance. It was my inward sincerity that I believed counted the more. If people were not willing to look past my dumpy old cars, my plain old clothes, and my cluttered little office to see within me the qualities I really have, then they would simply have to miss out.
-----Most important about my book cover is that I am not fooled by it when looking into the dim mirror. As long as I recognize it as a willingness to loose to the pesky, but not vital, little details of general impression, I will perceive it to be the focus of my perseverance upon the larger, more vital issues of life. One of my expressions, “I would rather face one great white shark than a whole school of piranha,” rather illustrates the idea. But if I am fooled by my own cover, I will accept laziness as the issue in general, and that is when the piranha will arrive slightly ahead of the great white. Therefore, I have little interest in maintaining a culturally correct book cover. I have bigger fish to fry.

Love,
Steve Corey