December 28, 2012

Fishing From the Bank

I ran into a friend who told me that although there were problems in her church, she would never change churches. “I just couldn’t leave because I’ve been a member there since 1967.” I can remember have similar feelings a few years ago when I felt that church heritage somehow superseded my spiritual need for a change of scenery. I can imagine the Lord shaking his head at our willingness to be fishers of men…just as long as we can stay on the bank of our own familiar pond. “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will make you fishers of men. At once they left their nets and followed him.” (Mark 1:17-18 NIV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----There are problems in every church. They are called people. If they weren’t problems, the Lord would not have had to die for them. So, the strange thing is that if this tight attachment to a particular church forms, it should be to the people, of course who are the problems.
-----We should give some awareness to why we are attached to a particular church. Merely because we’ve been going there since 1919 is a rather small base, and if it is the only reason, somebody is living a very limited new life indeed. Because we like the church facilities might be a better reason. But both of these entirely miss the point of the new life. Because the people there make us feel good approaches the point to being maybe somewhat upon it. God is interested in how we think and feel; those are parts of us. And He affects them by working through each other. So, if we form enough interest in how well other people are thinking and feeling that we make conscious efforts to affect their hearts and minds for the good, then we have climbed completely upon the point of being the church. And if for that reason we have been attached to a church since 1919, then very well.

Love you all,
Steve Corey