December 06, 2012

Write Offs

My mother passed away six months ago and she just got a bill in the mail from CenturyLink, her telephone service provider. The total amount due is $.08. Seriously, you can’t make this stuff up. No telling how much it cost the company to process the billing and mail it. My options are to ignore the statement, call the company to see if they would reconsider, send them a check, or mail them eight cents. I decided it was worth the cost of first class postage to mail the eight pennies to the company’s outsourced billing department. Companies today always requests that the consumer remit with checks, credit cards and electronic transfers, so I’m wondering if they even have a local bank where they can deposit eight cents cash. Of course the most practical solution would be for the company to simply write off the eight cents, but I suppose this situation is no different than some of us failing to write off wrongs that were done to us.

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----I love your ingenuity. Did you remember to mail your eight cents certified, signature required?


Love you all,
Steve Corey