December 11, 2012

Pick Me Up

The sidewalks were still ice encrusted when I left church last Sunday. Going out the door at the same time was one of our elderly ladies with her cane straddling across the handles of her walker. I cautioned her about it being slick and offered to walk along beside her to her car. “Na-ah.” She said with a chuckle. “If I fall, I just fall.” She wasn’t being cantankerous, but merely implying that if she falls she’ll either pick herself up, or if she can’t get up, then she’ll ask for help. I sort of wish that I could apply more of that type of attitude to my Christian walk. There are times when I am overly cautious because I don’t want to fall, or I don’t want others to help me. I need to be reminded, ‘If I fall, I just fall…and Jesus will be there to pick me up.’

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----We can not achieve perfect behavior, attitudes, thoughts, or feelings. If down is down and up is up, no matter how deep or high, we are always falling down to some extent by not getting perfect what we are trying to do. Our imperfections are so pervasive that I believe we do not realize how down we really always are. In his book, “Lies! Lies! Lies! The Psychology of Deceit,” Dr. Charles Ford notes that clinicians have found the greater portion of depressed people to be folks who approach life more truthfully. We live in a world that is down.
-----I like your friend’s attitude. There is no sense in fretting over what occurs naturally, just know how to respond. Falling down is normal in this place. And we are called to be abnormal by getting up, living up, or even by being picked up. It is just a process we do as well as we can until Jesus completes it at the end of our time in this mess.

Love you all,
Steve Corey