May 17, 2013

Not My Thing

As though she were talking about a simple outing, the mother of two young daughters told me, “I know my husband and I should go to church, but the girls go with grandma and it’s a special time for them. It’s their thing to do. When church is over they go out for lunch and I just don’t want to take anything away from grandma.” Intimating that the grandmother’s pleasure would somehow be taken away if the rest of the family tagged along is an interesting excuse. I was reminded of two men who were invited to follow Jesus. One wanted time to go bury his father who apparently had not yet died and the other wanted to go home and say good-by to his family. Jesus reminds us that there is a cost to following him, “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.” (Luke 9:62 NIV)

1 comment:

Steve Corey said...

Gail;

-----The only real reason any of us have for not doing what we should is, “I didn’t want to.” It is completely honest. If there is an obstacle of any kind in the way of our doing it, then the opportunity for doing it can pass us by as we are trying to get around the obstacle to do it. Then the real reason for our not doing it would be the obstacle (like Gabriel encountered demons when trying to get to Daniel.) To outright state, then, “I didn’t want to do it enough to overcome,” is to confess. That gets a step closer to grace.

Love you all,
Steve Corey