July 27, 2006

Church Hopping, Church Shopping...

Wouldn’t it be great if selecting a church home was as easy as picking an entrée off a menu? Looking at both the positive and negative characteristics of the seven churches in Revelation, I wonder which one I’d like to attend. The Philadelphia church sounds like a congregation of older, more mature Christians who are patiently trying to hold on. Thyatira seems moderately progressive even though some of their members are influenced by the teachings of Jezebel. Sardis has a great reputation of being ‘alive’, they just need strengthening in some areas. There are many churches to choose from and no church is perfect… right? Let’s see, do I want to worship and serve, or be comfortable and entertained? Decisions, decisions…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail;
----Thanks for the reminder! I kind of like the worship and serve style. And I know that all churches have flaws, more worse than others. So I have always attended church in the attitude that what really counts for me is what I can do to build the church up. Of course, I do see Biblical parameters as imperative, and when I know of a major gap in a foundation, I feel that to speak up in the truth is to build up. I am a little tired right now, so I think Char and I will be looking for a church that is on-board with the Word of God enough that I won't feel compelled to say anything "wrong" for a while , if you know what I mean.