July 28, 2006

Dying to Diet

I recently had the oddest conversation with my sister who is terminally ill with brain cancer. In a quandary about going to the grocery store, she couldn’t think of anything to eat because nothing sounded good. I tried to be encouraging and reminded her how important it was to keep up her strength. With a twist in the conversation she implied that having no appetite wasn’t all that bad. “Well, I really do need to lose a few pounds. If I could get rid of my tummy I’d be able to get back into some of the clothes in my closet.” OK, let me wrap my head around this. With a life expectancy of months, she’s thinking about watching her weight and dieting. If I were terminal, I’d be free from the ‘law of dieting’ and my motto would be a line from the parable of the Rich Fool, “…Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.” (Luke 12:19b NIV) Bring on the Hagan Daas and cheesecake!

No comments: